Custom Search
I am selling my stuff -- please check out Let's Recyle! Things for Sale!

Friday, July 15, 2016

More on K's chinese homework ........

Since yesterday's post was on K's learning to be responsible for a mundane task as 习字, thought I'd share my parent-teacher meeting experience with her Chinese teacher which took place just before the June school holidays.
Her teacher is a very kind & gentle lady. She is not fierce to the gals and is ever so gentle when she speaks. Think the gals like her 
Anyway, she started off by telling me K is a good student and her results were good etc etc. Then went on to highlight some composition weakness. She did not mention any issue with K not handing in her homework on time etc until I raised it. I mentioned to her that I understand that K is sometimes (or maybe all the time??) late in handing in her Chinese homework and is that an issue with the teacher? Told the teacher that I have tried addressing the issue with K with little success and that Chinese is the only subject that I see she is tardy wrt homework.
I told the teacher that she can be fiercer to K if she sees the need and it is alright with me if she 惩罚 K appropriately. Essentially I am requesting that she exercises her authority as the Teacher (without saying it that way).
She did not immediately agree to my suggestions .... in fact .... she said something to the effect that she would prefer to channel that energy to teaching the kids. Not wrong I suppose.
But 2 weeks into the new term, i think the teacher is taking up my suggestion in a different form..... I can tell that K is giving her Chinese homework a little more emphasis (hope this continues). To my knowledge (may not be complete since this is what I hear from K), the teacher has spoken privately to her in addition to giving her notices !
Sometimes 老师讲一句真的胜过家长讲十句.
To all the passionate teachers out there - thank you for choosing this challenging profession!
To the teachers i have met who are so effective in their teaching methods, at the same time command the respect of their students and also be loved by the students, I salute you!! K has had the fortune to have such teachers and may she continue to be blessed by them!

No comments: